Pregnancy nutrition focuses on eating safe and healthy, which means choosing foods from all food groups and keeping remind the right number of calories daily. Eating eggs every day can have some benefits during pregnancy, as eggs are a source of incredible nutrients which make them a super food. Eggs possess necessary nutrients, which are all very essential for pregnant women, in the form of fats, minerals, protein, vitamins A and D.
Benefits of having eggs during pregnancy
Here are some of the health benefits of eating eggs when pregnant:
Rich in Proteins- Eggs contain the right amount of proteins that are essential for the developingfoetus. Every cell of thegrowing foetus is made up of protein.
Brain Development- Eggs contain Omega 3 fatty acids and choline, which are essential for brain development and overall growth. It also prevents the neural tube defects in a baby.
Regulates Cholesterol- If mother’s blood cholesterol levels are normal, she can consume one or two eggs a day for balancing saturated fat levels in the body. If it is too high, then should avoid taking egg yolk during pregnancy.
Calories- Eggs contain about 70 calories, which help to meet some fraction of the daily calorie requirement for pregnant women. An expectant should ideally consume 200 to 300 calories every day for nourishing her body and baby’s as well.
Cooking Egg for Pregnant Women
Cooking eggs during pregnancy is pretty much same as when one is not pregnant. But the idea here is to ensure that the salmonella bacteria is killed in the cooking process. In order to cook an egg and boil it for about for five to seven minutes or can also fry the egg on both sides till the white is no longer translucent and yolk should become completely solid. One should take special precaution while eating outside an egg salad and pregnancy is concern.
Risks of Eating Eggs during Pregnancy
Egg is a rich source of nutrients to the pregnant women, but it also has some risks associated with it especially if not consumed correctly
- Salmonella Poisoning– Raw, uncooked eggs can cause disease hosted bySalmonellabacteria. This bacteria can cause food poisoning which may lead to vomiting, diarrhoea, high fever, headache, abdominal pain and dehydration as well. In some cases, these symptoms can bring serious condition to cause preterm labour or even miscarriage.
- Other Risks– Having egg yolk can also lead to difficulties in case of pregnant woman who already has high cholesterol levels. Consumption of eggs can also cause allergies like skin rashes, nasal congestion and so on.
To Avoid Bacterial Infections
- Handle the eggs with clean hands
- Not to splash raw egg over other utensils or food items.
- Use clean utensils
- Clean the utensils, surroundings of kitchen thoroughly with warm and soapy water after completion of cooking.
Hard boiled egg and pregnancy
The number of eggs to be consumed daily should be based on the cholesterol content in the remainder of expectant’sdiet. The consumption of egg yolk should be limited in a month. Most doctors recommend that expectant women stick to only consuming egg whites.